Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Taylor Dungjen SPJ Application

University of Cincinnati Society of Professional Journalists
2009-10 Executive Board Application

Name: Taylor Dungjen
Class rank: Junior
Major: Journalism
Running for: Secretary
Journalism classes taken: Intro, news writing and reporting, copy editing, columns and reviews, journalism law and ethics, precision journalism, feature writing, intro to photo journalism, advanced reporting: environmental writing, advanced reporting: urban writing, advanced reporting: sports writing.

Completed one journalism internship last summer at Lee Magazine in Auburn, Ala., and will complete a second this summer.

Spring 2009: editing and design, journalism seminar

In 300 words or less, please describe why SPJ is important: Since networking with other student Society of Professional Journalist chapters, I’ve seen SPJ work to fight to protect the rights of journalists and uphold rights guaranteed to all through the First Amendment. SPJ is a vital part of journalism as it aims to improve the working conditions and rights of the media. It helps to connect student journalists with working professionals, a priceless advantage when seeking work or mentorships.

In 300 words or less, please tell us why you’re applying for your chosen position and what you will bring to e-board: I have been an active member of the Society of Professional journalists for the last two years. Last year I was the vice president and was elected to the presidency for the 2008-09 academic year. In my time on e-board I have learned much of the student-run organization and how students can use the programs and activities to network. I am dedicated to learning more about social and new media and passing the information on to the rest of SPJ. I can use my experiences with The News Record and internships to bring unique programming ideas to the e-board. Additionally, aside from SPJ, I am co-News Editor of The News Record and a journalism Major Mentor – the skill sets of journalism students I encounter is wide-ranging, which, I believe, gives me great insight to what students are looking for. I am very organized and obsessed with time management (in addition to my journalism organizations I am also a Resident Adviser). Each of those characteristics is essential for the secretarial position.

No comments: