Friday, March 6, 2009

Kate Foster SPJ Application

University of Cincinnati Society of Professional Journalists

2009-10 Executive Board Application

Name: Katherine Foster

Class rank: Junior (Third-year)

Major: Journalism

Position you’re interested in (Pick one): Webmaster

List the journalism classes you’ve taken:

Intro to Journalism

News Writing & Reporting

Feature Writing

Copy Editing

Journalism Law and Ethics

Editing and Design

Precision Journalism

Advanced Reporting (421)

Seminar (625)

Magazine Writing

Photojournalism Workshop (503)

(next quarter I will be taking Advanced Magazine Writing)

In 300 words or less, please describe why SPJ is important:

I feel that SPJ is a MUST for all journalists or journalism students. UC SPJ is a great way to meet other journalism students and make new friends. The local chapter of SPJ is a great way to meet local journalists and media and to get your name out there locally. Also, with SPJ you can get discounted rates for conferences. The conferences are a great opportunity to network. You never know when you could need that contact, or when one of those contacts could mean a job for you!

In 300 words or less, please tell us why you’re applying for your chosen position and what you will bring to e-board:

Although I don’t know much about the technical aspect of websites, I am quick to learn and I have some great ideas. The editing and design class I took last year was just a taste of what design is all about, but I’m confident that I could make the page tasteful and professional but still fun. Also, I’m big on multimedia (podcasts and audio slideshows) and photography so it would be easy for me to come up with some great ideas to make the website more interactive. I am eager to get more involved with UC SPJ and would be willing to help out in all areas, not just one.

No comments: