Saturday, March 7, 2009

Ginny Walters SPJ Application

University of Cincinnati Society of Professional Journalists
2009-10 Executive Board Application

Name: Ginny Walters
Class rank: Sophomore

Major: Journalism and Secondary English Education

Position you’re interested in (Pick one): Secretary

List the journalism classes you’ve taken: Intro to Journalism, News Writing and Reporting. I’m currently taking Journalism Law and Ethics and Advanced Reporting.

In 300 words or less, please describe why SPJ is important:

SPJ is important because it helps with networking. There are a lot of programs that journalism students hear about through SPJ that can help students meet people already established in the profession and gain contacts. SPJ also provides students with contacts for internships. SPJ also helps students because it is a community where soon-to-be journalists can bounce ideas off of each other, which can help students improve their writing. Someone might mention an aspect of a story or a potential interviewee that the writer might not have thought of, which can help improve the story.

In 300 words or less, please tell us why you’re applying for your chosen position and what you will bring to e-board:

Even though I haven’t really been involved in SPJ until now, I’ve heard how great it is from other journalism students who have graduated as well as some people who are in SPJ now. I really want to take advantage of this great journalism community at UC. I’m applying to be Secretary because I think it would help me learn more about SPJ. By taking minutes at meeting and listening to everyone, I’ll be able to learn more about how the organization works so that I can get even more involved in the future.

I have a lot of leadership skills that I can bring to e-board. I’ve held many leadership positions on campus including the 2009 Future Greek Leaders Council, RallyCats Fountain Committee Chair 2009, and Honors Retreat Leader (Summer 2008). I also attended the LeaderShape Institute in December 2008 through the University Honors Program. I’ve learned a lot by holding these leadership positions, and I can bring a lot of those lessons to SPJ’s e-board. I’ve learned how to work with others and compromise when important decisions need to be made. I’ve also learned effective leadership skills such as inspiring others to help a group achieve things and leading with integrity. I would love to bring these qualities to SPJ’s e-board.

No comments: